Monday Jan 15, 2024
Monday Jan 15, 2024
Monday Jan 15, 2024
Nick Hutchison is the author of Rise of the Reader and is the visionary force behind BookThinkers, a thriving 7-figure marketing agency. Nick works to connect authors and readers and, in only 7 years, has cultivated a platform reaching over 1,000,000 people monthly. He hosts a podcast called BookThinkers: Life-Changing Books, a top 2% global podcast featuring interviews with renowned authors like Grant Cardone and Lewis Howes. Nick's platform and services have empowered countless authors to reach millions of readers, driving substantial revenue growth. His services encompass video production, podcast booking, and social media brand building. Nick likes to ask the question, “Where would you be today if you had successfully implemented every book you've ever read?”
Listen & Subscribe on:
- Website: www.NickHutch.com
Most Influential Person
- Tim Ferris (Author)
Effect On Emotions
- When I was younger, I was very emotionally reactive and that behavior continued into my late teens and early twenties. I would get angry, input would go into my brain, and I would react. I would have a default reaction and sometimes it would get me in trouble.
- It wasn't always so positive. But as I've continued to grow in my mindfulness practices and meditations, I've been able to increase the space between the input to my brain and my reaction. I can default to a place of logic.
- I can process before reacting. And so I'm a little bit less emotional than I was. I'm a little bit more logical today than I was back then as well. And mindfulness is the reason that that's happened.
Thoughts On Breathing
- I do practice the Wim Hof method breathing exercise every single day. I've heard people define meditation as the return to breath. So when everything's chaotic, just breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. And I know that from a scientific perspective, if your exhale is longer than your inhale, you'll slow your heart rate down.
- And so I try to use those strategies sometimes. My average breath hold is usually in the two-minute range. I don't try to push myself too hard with it. I find that just the daily practice of doing Wim Hof breathing just helps me to stay grounded and to feel really good.
- So, I'll give a 3rd party story. I interviewed an author today at my house. His name is Efren Delgado, former FBI special agent.
- Actually, he just wrote a book called The Opposite Is True. And his book kicks off with a story about being bullied. He was in 2nd grade, but he was the youngest of all 2nd graders in his class and he was pretty small. He got picked on a lot. And so he kicked off the book by telling a story where he's shoved to the ground, and he got really hurt.
- He looked up, and the bullies almost felt bad, like they were concerned that they had hurt him too much this time. He talks about how that was the first time he ever became aware of this question: Why do good people choose to do bad things? And, you know, sometimes you could say your purpose comes from your pain.
- So he got into law enforcement, national security, and FBI work so that he could protect people who were in a similar position of being bullied, whether it was from a terrorist perspective or anything below that. And so he talked a lot about mindfulness. He talked a lot about his ability to slow things down and operate from a place of logic instead of emotion.
- And I thought it was a really interesting story. That 1st time becoming aware and asking himself that question and not reacting with emotion, not emoting negativity, but slowing things down and operating from a place of logic instead.
- Book: Siddhartha, a Novel by Hermann Hesse
- Book: Life's Amazing Secrets: How To Find Balance and Purpose In Your Life by Gaur Gopal Das
- Book: The 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferris
- Book: Tools Of Titans by Tim Ferris
- App: The One-Sec App
|Are you experiencing anxiety & stress? I’m Bruce Langford, a practicing coach and hypnotist helping fast-track people just like you to shed their inner bully and move forward with confidence. Book a Free Coaching Session to get you on the road to a more satisfying life, feeling grounded and focused. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘I Am Determined' in the subject line. We'll schedule a call to discuss how you can move forward to a better life